Brennan Dolan • English 3000 • Spring 2011


Monday, April 25, 2011

Themes Of Shakespeare

Time for my first blog! Not going to lie, this seems like one of the more creative and fascinating assignments that I've had in my first couple years of college. The class, Shakespeare For Non-Majors, issued the task of organizing twelve responses to our various Shakespeare material discussed over the course of the semester. In general these posts are going to focus on the specific plays and their significant themes, what Shakespeare may have meant or sought to imply by them, and of course my reflections to all of the subject matter! This post however, is more of an outline of what's to come and overview of my perspective. 


In creating my responses I was especially tickled with the freedom given to us by Prof. Nowak, thus I'll do my best to ride somewhat of a colloquial tone through all of my posts. I haven't had the opportunity to write like this in years and the personality behind the assignment should be great fun. As for the topics themselves, I thought back to some of my first encounters with Shakespeare and what made his writing stick out for me personally. What first came to mind was predominately his variety in character and the impacts they left upon me even at a young age... But how? And that's when my young philosophical mind crashed into what my blog should be about. Shakespeare's fantastic characterization always seemed to have a greater calling; each persona always playing to a story weave greater than themselves. That greater weave, at least to this bright-eyed youth, resonated in the themes of Shakespeare's work. Whether morality disputes, relationship fluctuations, or power struggles, Shakespeare's motifs and themes always seem to draw back into my own life and the real world. Which is the great motivator in my infatuation with his beautiful work. 


So - without further ado - let the blogging begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment